The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Tolkien Interview

I've been an ardent fan of J. R. R. Tolkien for my entire adult life, and in recent years have managed to find several audio recordings and a few videos where journalists and others interviewed the good professor. But I was just pointed to another, one of the more interesting, that can be found on the BBC website. Here's the link: J.R.R. Tolkien.

The video is almost a half-hour long and well worth viewing. Thanks to Mark Shea and Fr. Dwight Longenecker for providing the link. As Fr. Longenecker observes on his blog, it's a special joy to listen to some of the Oxford students of 1968 being interviewed as they wax stupidly on Tolkien and his work. They had a golden opportunity to receive a first-rate education, and they apparently squandered it. These are the same people (of my generation) who are more or less running the world today. It's no wonder we're in the shape were in.

No comments:

Post a Comment