The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Persecution of Catholics in Pakistan

I've addressed this issue before, but sometimes the words just don't provide the whole picture. A few weeks ago Pakistani Catholics placed a video on YouTube (below) showing some of the recent persecution Catholics have experienced in Pakistan. Yes, those who made the video have some harsh words to say about Muslims and about Islam in general, words that don't mesh well with our politically correct sensibilities here in the USA. But before you're too critical about their choice of words, you might consider how you would feel if your parish church had been burned down by a mob, its contents desecrated, and many of your fellow parishioners burned alive. I suspect, then, your attitude toward Islam would be quite different.

The brief text that accompanies the video states:
"This is not new for the Christian World. We Christians are used to it in Pakistan. This was the enormous injustice and massacre of Christians in 2009. But 2010 is also worst for Christians in this Republic. But for Christians, Persecution = Unity."
These Pakistani Catholics are on the front lines of the universal call to evangelization and display a degree of courage that I'm not sure I could emulate. Keep them in your prayers.



And while I'm at it, here's another video that presents a collage of sorts depicting the persecution of Christians throughout the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment