The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, July 12, 2010

A Happy Coincidence

For several months now, Diane and I have planned a trip to Barcelona for this coming November. We're actually going to visit the city for two days, then depart on a seven-day cruise in the Western Mediterranean. After our return from the cruise we will spend another four days in Barcelona before returning home. We'll be traveling with friends, another deacon and his wife, and so look forward to a pleasant vacation. I am especially interested in visiting this city I have heard so much about but never visited. I've been pouring through the guidebooks and websites so we can make the best use of our limited time.

And then this morning I came across an article on Catholic Online, dated March 3, 2010, that discusses an upcoming papal visit to Spain. Pope Benedict XVI will visit Santiago de Compostela on November 6 and then visit Barcelona on November 7. Coincidentally we will also be in Barcelona on the 7th, although our cruise ship leaves port that evening. We should have enough time to join the crowds near the Gaudi-designed cathedral, Sagrada Familia (Holy Family), which the pope will consecrate that day. (See photo above.) I'm assuming the trip is still on, and am glad we made our hotel reservations early.

Ironically, I was a bit torn about going on this cruise instead of once again spending a few weeks in Italy. Even though our ship will make three Italian port calls, including Rome, it's just not the same. But now it looks as if Rome will also join us in Barcelona -- the best of both worlds. I probably won't be as fortunate as I was in February 2000 when Diane and I stumbled (literally) into then Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger who was making his way back to his office after a lunch in one of the nice little restaurants on Borgo Pio. Naturally, I played the role of ugly American perfectly and accosted the poor man. But he graciously allowed our Polish friend, Father Adam Domanski, to snap a photo which I cherish to this day. He even replied to my subsequent letter of thanks with a lovely letter of his own. I suspect our shared time in Barcelona won't be quite so intimate, but it is always a joy to see and listen to him.

I wonder if the Spaniards will still be celebrating their World Cup victory in November.

Blessings...

No comments:

Post a Comment