The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Monday, December 13, 2010

US Intelligence Misread 2005 Papal Election

One of the interesting bits of news to come out of Rome recently is how wrong so many "experts" were in their pre-papal election analysis in 2005. Apparently none expected Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger to be elected, believing instead the next pope would come from a developing nation in either Latin America or Africa. These erring experts also included the US intelligence community who were apparently unable to penetrate the wall of secrecy surrounding the conclave. Here's a video report from Rome on the subject:


Personally, I didn't expect Cardinal Ratzinger to be elected...until I listened to the homily he delivered on April 18, 2005 at the Mass just preceding the conclave. That's when I thought that the Holy Spirit would make this man the next pope. If you have never read that homily, you can find it here in English translation: Cappella Papale Mass.

Pax at bonum...

No comments:

Post a Comment