The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Thursday, October 29, 2020

The more things change...

Thinking of the election and its meaning for our nation’s future, I turned back to the Old Testament and realized Moses said it best in words that echo God’s truth through the ages:

“See, I have set before you this day life and good, death and evil. If you obey the commandment of the Lord, your God which I command you this day, by loving the Lord your God, by walking in His ways, and by keeping His commandments and His statutes and His ordinances, then you shall live and multiply, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land which you are entering to take possession of it...I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse, therefore choose life, that you and your descendants may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying His voice, and clinging to Him, for that means life to you and length of days, that you may dwell in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them” [Dt 30:15-17,19-20].

Moses was preparing God’s people for their life in the Promised Land. By doing so, he foreshadowed the call of Jesus who prepares the People of God (that’s us) for their journey to eternal life. Our world today is very different from that of Moses’ day, but the will of God for His people remains the same.

Choose Life!



No comments:

Post a Comment