The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Joe Biden, the Neighbor

It’s hard to believe a president could do so much in so short a time to set our nation on a course to disaster. If you think I’m just expressing a little hyperbole, believe me I’m not. Things have become so critical I have concluded we might well have passed the point of no return, and that, dear friends, is the intention of the president and the puppeteers who control him. 

My understanding of Joe Biden began to take form years ago. Let me pass along the catalyst for this emerging opinion. Over 35 years ago, during my consulting days, I was conducting some management training for a group of sales and marketing managers, among them a executive for a major chemical company. During one of our evening “happy hours,” as our conversation turned to politics, this executive laughed and said, “My immediate neighbor is Senator Joe Biden, and I’ve gotten to know him just because he’s my neighbor. He’s also one of the stupidest men I know.” He went on to describe several casual interactions with his neighbor, the senator. The stories were not about Joe Biden’s politics — that wasn’t the man’s concern — but rather the things he said and did in those normal interpersonal activities in which people engage. I’ve never forgotten his final comment: “The man just lacks basic common sense. I expect he has some very good handlers.” 

At the time, I’ll admit, I’d barely heard of Joe Biden, but over time I paid more attention to the man and came to understand and accept what his neighbor had told me so long ago. It was reinforced during Joe Biden’s years as Obama’s Vice President and confirmed during the 2020 campaign. Those same handlers made good use of COVID and locked Joe away in his basement so he could say or do nothing too damaging. His campaign then focused not on the Joe Biden of 2020, but on his past “stability” and how only this man could cure the divisiveness in Washington and the nation, a divisiveness, we were told, caused by the Trump presidency. Since his inauguration…we’ll, I’ll you decide how effective our president has been. 

Will President Biden still be president in 2024, when the American people get to vote once again for a president. Eight months ago, back in December 2020, I made a prediction that the president would not last two years in office. (Here’s the link: Strange Times, Stranger Thoughts) Such predictions are probably foolish and to repeat them even more so, but what the heck! I don’t know how the Vegas odds-makers view Joe Biden’s longevity as president, but it would be interesting to see if they agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment