The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

An African Pope?

Here I am, only a few years into the pontificate of Pope Benedict XVI, and I'm already talking about who the next pope might be. I trust the Holy Father will forgive me for even broaching the subject. After all, I think the College of Cardinals and the Holy Spirit did a terrific job the last time and I certainly don't want to hasten the next conclave. But...voices in the press and among the Vatican watchers are buzzing about the most likely papabile; that is, the cardinals thought by those in the know to have the best shot at succeeding Pope Benedict.

Perhaps the most intriguing "candidate" is Cardinal Peter Turkson, the 61-year-old Archbishop of Cape Coast (Ghana). Pope Benedict appointed him relator general of the ongoing African Synod, something that has thrust the cardinal into the Roman spotlight and led to all sorts of speculation. When asked during a press briefing whether the next pope might be an African, the cardinal replied with a straightforward, "Why not?" His candor is certainly refreshing.

Pope Benedict, it would seem, wants Cardinal Turkson in the Roman Curia and has reportedly asked him to be President of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, succeeding Cardinal Renato Martino. But the reports say that Cardinal Turkson prefers to remain, at least for the time being, with his flock in Ghana. This last piece of news, if it is true, has made me a fan. Imagine a pastor who would rather be among his people than in Rome.

Cardinal Turkson just might be someone to watch. It will be interesting to see of the Holy Spirit agrees. If you'd like to read more about Cardinal Turkson in the news, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment