The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Orthodox - Catholic Unity


I have recently become far more optimistic about Christian unity. I had never been very hopeful when it came to the possible reunion of the Orthodox and Catholic Churches. I suppose my lack of enthusiasm was simply a symptom of an equally weak faith. Other than the fact that the two churches have been separated for 1,000 years, there is really no reason to be pessimistic. After all, "with God all things are possible" and as a Christian I should be willing to accept that God will bring about the unity that Jesus prayed for so earnestly.

Also feeding my newly found optimism are some recent signs that this work of God is beginning to bear fruit. I've mentioned a few of these in recent posts and today I came across another sign, an article reporting on Pope Benedict's letter of congratulations to the Armenian Apostolic Church's Supreme Patriarch, Karekin II, who is celebrating the 10th anniversary of his election as patriarch. The Armenian Apostolic Church is one of the "six ancient Oriental Orthodox Churches" that separated from Rome way back in the 5th century because of the Council of Chalcedon's declaration that Jesus is one Divine Person with both a divine and human nature. (Photo shows Pope Benedict XVI and Patriarch Karekin II at a meeting last year.)

While sending a letter of congratulations might not seem like much, such contacts between the Holy Father and the leaders of other Christian churches are not trivial. They pave the way for far more substantive contacts at the working level where the differences and misunderstandings of 1,500 years can be addressed and ironed out. Indeed, back in 1996 the predecessors of these two men signed a joint declaration to begin the work necessary to accomplish just that. To read more, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment