The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Wildwood, Florida: Choosing Life & Blessing Animals

It's been a busy afternoon. In celebration of Respect Life Sunday, the Knights of Columbus at our parish sponsored a Respect Life demonstration of support today on both sides of US Highway 301 right in front of the Wildwood, Florida city hall. We waved signs and greeted every car that passed by. Most of the people who drove by seemed very supportive, with lots of horns tooting and hands waving. Despite the temperature -- it was about 90 -- we had a pretty good turnout, and folks of all ages joined in to remind the community about life issues, particularly the plague of abortion. Our pastor was there, along with all five of the deacons who are in Florida this time of year. I've included a few photos below:

The young folks showed up...
...as did the very young

...and the not so young

...and here I am with two of my buddies, Evelyn & Marie

Back-benchers take a break from the heat

...and all supported by our pastor, Fr. Peter.

Today being the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi, I had to leave the Respect Life gathering and rush back to the church to conduct the annual Blessing of the Animals. I expected maybe a dozen or so little critters, but to my surprise I blessed nearly 50 animals. Most were dogs, with a few cats and a bird thrown in. After the introductory rite I gave each pet an individual blessing, complete with a sprinkling of holy water and a medal that can be attached to each collar. The animals were as well behaved as their owners, so it was a very pleasant experience. And I was particularly happy to have escaped unbitten.

Just a few of the many parishioners who brought their pets for a blessing

A whippet gets sprinkled, blessed, and a pat on the head.

After the blessing, I returned to Highway 301 and re-joined our Respect Life demonstration. All in all a very satisfying and enjoyable afternoon. The Lord God made them all...and not just the animals.

Pray for life. God's peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment