The occasional, often ill-considered thoughts of a Roman Catholic permanent deacon who is ever grateful to God for his existence. Despite the strangeness we encounter in this life, all the suffering we witness and endure, being is good, so good I am sometimes unable to contain my joy. Deo gratias!


Although I am an ordained deacon of the Catholic Church, the opinions expressed in this blog are my personal opinions. In offering these personal opinions I am not acting as a representative of the Church or any Church organization.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Soup Kitchen...The Need Grows

It being Thursday, Diane and I spent a good part of the day -- from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. -- at the Wildwood Soup Kitchen where Diane, along with her many helpers, cooked up a wonderful meal of baked ziti with all the trimmings. Everyone loved it...as usual. And we ended up serving and delivering a total of 235 meals. It wasn't a record but it's still far above the kind of numbers we were used to in the recent past.

And so, as board president (a responsibility I'm trying to convince someone -- anyone! -- else to take on), I feel the pressure to go out to the highways and byways and beg for dollars. It's not a particularly onerous task since the Lord is always at my side and seems to convince people to give despite my inane comments. I am truly amazed, though, that we are able to cook and serve so many meals (over 62,000 last year - see graph below) without taking a cent of money from the government...any government. We have a sense that government money would likely lead to government control and an inability to serve anyone who walks in the door hungry. Our entire total-volunteer operation is funded solely by donations from individuals, churches, local businesses, and civic and community groups. And when one considers how much it costs us to operate and maintain the kitchen (well over $1 per meal), I sometimes can't take it all in. "He loves justice and right; of the kindness of the Lord the earth is full." Amen!

Check out our growth in demand

I often speak to church groups, since our volunteers, who number almost 150, represent over 30 area churches. But my next scheduled fund-raising event will be a bit different. I will visit the local Jewish synagogue where I'll address their women's group. It should be a challenge to present a Christian ecumenical ministry to a group of Jewish women and then to ask them for donations of food and money. I suppose I can rely on Moses who in Deuteronomy commanded God's People, "Tzedek, Tesdek [Justice, Justice] you shall pursue," and remind them that charity to their neighbor is a mitzvah, a commandment of the Jewish Law. We'll see how well that goes over.

Should you have an urge to give to those who are less fortunate and in need of a daily hot meal, feel free to send a check to the Wildwood Soup Kitchen, P. O. Box 1762, Wildwood, FL 34785. We will use your donation wisely and you will be blessed [See Matthew 25.]

God's peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment